DIAdIC (European Commission H2020)
What: A transdisciplinary, cross-national randomized controlled trial evaluating the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of 2 psychosocial and educational interventions (eHealth and nurse-led face-to-face) aimed at improving the quality of life and wellbeing of patients with advanced cancer and their family caregivers, evaluated through a randomized controlled trial.
Why: In Europe, millions of people with advanced cancer and their family caregivers are at risk of severe physical and psychological distress. This has major public healthcare and health resource implications. Psychosocial support and education for people with advanced cancer and their family caregivers can substantially reduce their distress, improve their quality of life, and prevent avoidable health resource use. To date, we lack the knowledge to inform European countries on which interventions generate the most favourable outcomes for both patient and family caregivers, at what cost, and how these can best be delivered within diverse European healthcare systems.
By Whom: A consortium of leading research teams from 9 research institutes, of which 6 have a direct link to a university hospital, and 2 advocacy organizations in six countries: Belgium, Denmark, Italy, Ireland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. The consortium brings together expertise in cancer care, end-of-life care, public health and health services research, large clinical trials in vulnerable end-of-life populations, health economic evaluations, implementation science, eHealth development, and economic valorisation.
For Whom: People with advanced cancer and their family caregivers
1. VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT BRUSSEL (VUB)
2. ERASMUS UNIVERSITAIR MEDISCH CENTRUM ROTTERDAM (ERASMUS MC)
3. KING’S COLLEGE LONDON, CICELY SAUNDERS INSTITUTE OF PALLIATIVE CARE, POLICY & REHABILITATION
4. THE QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY OF BELFAST (QUB)
5. UNIVERSITEIT GENT (UGent)
6. AZIENDA UNITA SANITARIA LOCALE DI REGGIO EMILIA (AUSL RE)
7. KOBENHAVNS UNIVERSITET (UCPH)
8. TRINITY COLLEGE DUBLIN (TCD)
9. UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF IRELAND
10. EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION OF PALLIATIVE CARE (EAPC)
11. EUROPEAN CANCER PATIENT COALITION
European Commission H2020-SC1-2018-Single-Stage-RTD